Recently there seems to be a lot on going on in the world which has been quite difficult for us all to hear and see unfold. I know that at one point I didn’t want to look at my phone in case of another news update of people suffering through negliance or terriost attacks. It just felt a little overwhelming and tiring.
I decided that I was going to somehow overcome this without swiching off from the world completely. I am a firm believer that the world has far more good people and things happening in it than bad, sometimes you have just to look a little harder to see them. For me the media does not provide as balanced a view as it could do and social media can at times bias what your timeline is showing.
Anyway, my plan is to spread a little happiness and focus my mind on to more positive happenings. Firstly for the month of July I am going to keep a gratitude journal where each day I will record two things I am grateful for. By taking time to reflect and write down what I am grateful for each day it will help keep my mindset in a positive place. Other benefits associated to practicing gratitude are: increase own well-being, happiness, experience more positive emotions, more empathetic and increased energy. With all of these benefits and especially hitting up my well-being then its a no brainer for me.
So far below are a few things that I am grateful for, some of which you may think are basic however I don’t want to take anything for granted. It’s the small things in life which get overlooked yet later on they seem the most special or important parts of your life.
- I am grateful for my health as I do not often get poorly, I have no serious illnesses or illnesses in general and my body does a pretty good job of keepng me alive every day.
- I am grateful for being part of a loving and supportive relationship where we can both be ourselves and share our lives together.
- I am grateful for the relationship I have with my step children and the bond that we have. I love it when they talk between themselves and do not think that you can hear them (ie, when they are sat in the back of the car)
- I am grateful for the love and support I have from my family and friends.
- I am grateful that we have had some sun shine and hot wather in the UK for some of the summer days. The sun shining makes the world seem a brighter, louder and shinier place to be in.
- I am grateful to live in a time where there are so many opportunities and possibilities that are available to all people.
I like to make sure I do this as I am having my breakfast so that I am then starting my day on positive thoughts. It really is down to each persons perference when it is best for them to practice gratitude however I would suggest that you try and make it part of your routine. Also I try to be as specific as I can be so that I can really nail what and why I am grateful for that particular thing.
The other thing I am going to start doing from next week is post out on social media every day at least one good news story. I want to spread a little happiness across my social media and prove that its not all doom and gloom out there. Please feel free to join in and share as many good news stories as you can.
None of the above is to diminish or ignore the awful things that happen in the world every single day but right now I need some balance for my overall happiness, well-being and keep my faith in the human race.
Do you practice gratitude? If so do you have any tips?