I was listening to a great pod cast from The High Tea Cast about morning routines which made me start to think about my routine or even if I had one. My current morning looks something like this:
Alarm goes off at 6am, snooze at least once maybe twice even though I am usually awake. Then I wake up the boyfriend and make sure he gets up as he usually leaves the house before me. Then up, washed, dressed and down stairs to make shakes and food for the day. Most mornings my hair doesn’t even get a brush through it and makeup is whatever makes me look less tired. Then it’s out of the door and a walk to the train station, feeling slightly annoyed (I don’t know why) harassed and generally clock watching to make sure I get there in time. Overcrowded train and into work. It’s only at this point that I will stop to get a drink and breakfast even though I have been up for probably 2-3 hours. The work day then begins.
Listening to the podcast made me realise that whilst my morning is not bad it could be better. I am never going to jump out of bed at 6am and be full of life straight away however I could set myself up for a stronger start to the day. If I am arriving at work feeling harassed then it’s more than likely impacting my whole day. The first thing I did was go on the Internet and research what other people’s morning routine looked like. There were a few trends running through the different articles and pages that I read however one thing that most seemed to agree on is that a good morning routine is a key stone to successful people’s life’s and achieving your goals. A few ideas:
– Review any goals
– Positive Affirmations
– Drink water to rehydrate your body after 7-8 hours of nothing
– Weigh yourself every day (that seems a little obsessive to me and is not something that would work for me personally)
Now don’t get me wrong some of these people have their own companies or high flying jobs so can probably call the shots more about what time they walk into work. I cannot see that it would be well received if I rocked in at 10am because my sleep cycle prefers it that way! What I can do is to create a morning routine that works for me and gives me a good start to the day. This week I am going to go through a bit of a trial and error however I already know a few things I want to add in;
– Have a pint of water within 30 minutes of getting up. This will help rehydrate me and helpfully reduce any feelings of tiredness or irritability.
– Try and eat something before I leave the house, it doesn’t have to be breakfast however a banana would give my body energy to start the day. Ideally I would love to have a green smoothie at this point and then some breakfast just before I start work. As I am in the middle of moving house that’s not very realistic but definitely something to aim for.
– Make more of an effort with my dress and appearance. I am not too bothered about full make up on but I do want to leave the house feeling good.
I feel that the above is a good starting point which hopefully will give me a good base to work on over the new few months. I will update on here how I get on, how I feel and if it leads to any other changes.
What does your morning routine look like? If you wanted to change anything to provide yourself with the best start to a day then what would it be?